New: Reader Rewards - Make your choice by October 15th: See more info directly below the COVID Spring announcement:
“COVID Spring,” a poetry anthology in a beautifully designed book by Hobblebush Press and edited by NH Poet Laureate, Alexandria Peary, is now available directly from the publisher (hobblebush.com) or at the Toadstool Bookshops. Six of the 54 poets with poems in the anthology also have poems in our anthology, “On and Off the Road: Poems of New Hampshire,” still available in limited quantities (see our “Books” page for how to order.)
_ _ _
Reader Rewards details:
Help us keep poetry alive and vibrant - let us know which poem you liked best in either or both of our two books: “On and Off the Road: Poems of NH, ” and “Out of Darkness.” Don’t have either book? - see below.*
To be eligible to win a free copy of our next chapbook anthology tentatively titled “Day After Day in Quarantine”, mail a postcard or letter (to PPP-RCR/PO Box 247/Peterborough NH 03458) that includes:
- Poem title of your favorite poem (choosing a poem in each book counts as separate entries),
- Your name, U.S. mailing address, and email address.
We will enter your name in a drawing for a free book. Poets with a poem in our first book cannot vote for their own poems.
*It’s not too late to buy a copy of either book: “On and Off the Road: Poems of New Hampshire” or “Out of Darkness.” See our “Books” page at peterboroughpoetryproject.org to order. ALTERNATE ENTRY for a free book: on our “Books” page, page down below the photo of the "Out of Darkness" book cover, click on the link for five poems from the book, read the 5 poems excerpted from “Out of Darkness” - and tell us your favorite poem by mail as noted above.
_ _ _ _ _ _
- - See Contests page for a new Poems on Postcards contest.
- -Still available: "Out of Darkness," a first book of poems by Bill Chatfield. See our "books" page for sample poems, reviews, and how to order. Next: NH Youth Poet Laureate, Rachel Sturges, will publish her first book of poems: "You, Genesis," with us. See more info on our "books" page.
- - Check out our Peterborough Poetry Project-sponsored MAIL ACROSS AMERICA campaign to enhance personal communication by mail and help bolster the U.S. Postal Service. More info at mailacrossamerica.com . Mail poems on postcards to family and friends and more.
~ Friends and fellow poets sent us dozens of poems by mail, starting near the end of April. I am still exchanging poems four months later! What a great way to share your poems while supporting the Postal Service. Let's all join in.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _
Liz Simmons of Low Lily is raising funds for a new solo album (Poets)!
Help her out at: bit.ly/LizSimmonsPoets
_ _ _ _ _ _ _
Enter the Wergle Flomp contest for free (one poem of humor):
Nice prizes/no entry fee!
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Reading by New NH Youth Poet Laureates:
Recently, two new NH Youth Poet Laureates were appointed, effective September 1, 2019: Rachel Sturges of Peterborough, and Falon Smith of Littleton. The immediate past Youth Poet Laureate is Cate Dixson. Congratulations to all 3 young poets!!!
We are excited to have had all 3 poets speaking and reading some of their poems at The Toadstool Bookshop at 12 Depot Square in Peterborough NH on Saturday, September 14th at 11 a.m. They were introduced by the New Hampshire Poet Laureate, Alice B. Fogel. Thanks to all four poets for their enthusiastic participation! Look for more poems from these excellent poets.
"Poems of New Hampshire" Poetry Contest - now closed. Thanks to all the entrants, many fine poems were submitted. Prize winners have been announced; see our Home page and Contests page. Then our Poems page for the winning poems.
Peterborough Book Fair Recap:
The new Peterborough Book Fair of 2019 was an exciting success. Thanks to all the sponsors, participants, volunteers, and visitors! If you have a comment, please share it with us via our "contact" page on this website.
Lawrence Ferlinghetti, poet and champion of poetry for all, died in April 2019 at age 100.
However, his poetry lives on. At the Fair, we had six of his books signed by him, five of which have quick self-portrait sketches on the signature page. See photos of the books on the "Books" page.
Spring Poetry Contest
We had over 40 entries from elementary and middle school students. Info about winners is on our "contests" page. A new contest will be coming soon.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
- - Folk Music is like poetry in motion. The Peterborough Folk Music Society is alive and well. Visit pfmsconcerts.org for info on their 2020 performances and to purchase tickets in advance.
- - A new railroad book (published by Bauhan Publishing) about iron roads in the Monadnock region is now available at the Toadstool Bookshops.
- - Check it out: see poetry contests at the Rural Oklahoma Museum of Poetry.